Month: February 2018
What Does INTO Mean to You?
I’m not sure how many of you follow RTAI Site – following article requesting assistance might be of interest to those of you wanting to share memories. You might also want to have a look at History of our own branch (see ABOUT)
“To mark INTO’s 150th anniversary (1868-2018), a short film is being commissioned to capture the essence of INTO including some of the main events of our history.
It is intended to capture in this short film INTO’s commitment to better working lives and conditions for teachers, to equality, to high standards of education, to professionalism in teaching, and to supporting members in difficulty (whether financial or work related) among other features.
We know that a number of retired members have recollections of events, or have knowledge of people involved in INTO previously, which/who recollect examples to illustrate these and other values represented by INTO.
What does INTO stand for/mean to you? What are your earliest and most valued impressions or memories of INTO’s work and/or value?
Because of severe time pressures related to this project, we invite you to email us within the next week with any contribution you would like to make to this project. Please have a think about the issues above and email us – INTO150@into.ie – with any suggestions, ideas or stories.
INTO is due to have a discussion with a film company within the next two weeks and this entire project has to be completed within a short time so we would urge you to assist us to the best of your ability within the coming week.”
Welcome to the new retirees
Most members of Retired Teachers Kildare Branch were formerly members of three INTO branches – Athy (geographically southern Kildare), Craobh Dárach (Kildare north of Naas) and Curragh. Craobh Dárach and Curragh branches were previously Droichead Nua branch until the growth in membership required a division.
Curragh Branch Retirement
On Friday 13th October in Westgrove Hotel, Clane, the Curragh Branch honoured their retirees.
- from Scoil Mhuire Junior School, Newbridge: Bríd Leddy and Bryan O’Reilly ( special tribute was paid to Bryan for his outstanding work in INTO, particularly in his position as CEC Rep for District 7)
- from Bunscoil Bhríde, Rathangan: Mary Kehoe
- from Scoil Mhuire Senior School, Newbridge: Síle Nolan
- from St. Marks Special School: Lisa Quinn Berger
- from Gaelscoil Chill Dara: Helen Doyle
- from St Brigid’s Primary School, Kildare Town: Aidan McKeon
Special guests at the celebration were INTO President, John Boyle and District 7 CEC Rep, Carmel Browne.
Craobh Dárach Retirement
Craobh Dárach branch honoured their retired members with a function in Kilashee Hotel on Jan 19th to which friends and colleagues were invited. The function was also attended by INTO officials/representatives from Head Office to acknowledge retirees’ commitment to Irish education and to the many pupils taught by them during their careers.
A certificate of congratulations with good wishes for a long, happy and fulfilling retirement was presented usually by Joe Killeen, Vice President INTO. The retirees received a beautiful Newbridge Silver presentation from the local committee.
CRAOBH DÁRACH RETIREES 2016-2018
- Back: Carmel Browne, District 7 CEC Rep. Máire Ní Loinn, Breda Fay, Bridget Greaney, Maria Fitzgibbon, Lillian Meaghar, Joan Sweeney, Rita Breen, Mary Kilfeather, Joe Killeen, Vice President INTO and Derry O’Connor, Chairperson Craobh Dárach
- Front: Anne Fitzgerald Gifney, Bernadette McAuliffe, Margaret Bradman and Shiela Daly. Also in attendance was Dr Deirbhile Nic Craith from INTO Education Committee.
RTAI Chill Dara welcome you now to our community. We hope you will attend our meetings, join in with some of our activities and maybe suggest other ways of maintaining contact with former colleagues.
Beannachtaí lá Fhéile Bríde oraibh go léir