The usual large crowd assembled in Killashee House Hotel on Monday 10th December for Christmas get together of Kildare Retired Teachers.
We moved quickly through reading and adapting of minutes, matters arising, correspondence and Financial Report to election of Branch Officers.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Outgoing Chair Ted Rooney was congratulated on “a job well done” before he introduced Martin Hoban, incoming chair. Martin, Principal of Holy Child N.S. Rathcoole (the only Dublin school with membership in Kildare INTO) has been a lifelong activist with INTO. Carmel Gleeson also well known in INTO circles as well as Cumann na mBunscol was elected to position of Vice Chair. The position of Secretary/Treasurer will remain in the capable hands of Fidelma who was praised highly for her dedication and expertise over the last year. Paula Watters resignation as Branch Auditor due to family circumstances was accepted and our thanks was extended to her for all her work. Paddy Walsh was elected as Auditor with Peadair Cunningham who continues in the Job. Martin thanked all committee members, outgoing and incoming on our behalf.
A number of volunteers to attend RTAI meetings in Dublin were noted.
The branch supported the nomination of Mary Kyne from Galway to Standing Orders Committee of RTAI.
There was one Motions for Congress suggested. I will clarify the wording ASAP.
- The number attending Dance class has increased since September. I might do a visit in the new year and if GDPR allows publish some photos or a short article.
- Rena McAllen circulated information on our2019 trip: Ljubljana & Lake Bled, Slovenia for 5 days May 23rd – 28th.
BILLY SHEEHAN’S ADDRESS
Finally, Billy Sheehan addressed the meeting in his usual knowledgable manner,
- with good news for many (if not all) about PSSA and Pension Reductions. In answer to a question from the floor, Billy agreed that the gains for some could be equalised by their loss of entitlements to Medical/Doctor’s cards.
- He also lauded the GDPR and encouraged a positive view of it as a method of preserving our privacy.
- For those who are subbing he explained that from January your INTO deduction will be automatic (just ensure the INTO have your current details).
- The RTAI office is always available for advice and information but Billy encouraged ringing EARLY (between 9.00am and 1.00pm daily) to talk to a “human”; otherwise you may be answered by a machine!
RAFFLE & LUNCH
There were lots of lucky raffle winners (again well done to Fidelma who organises all the prizes) before we ‘retired’ to the Mooreabbey Suite for a lovely lunch. Another lovely pre-Christmas meeting.