My First RTAI meeting 14/12/2016
I attended my first meeting of the Retired Teachers Association of Ireland (Kildare Branch) in Kilashee House Hotel on Wednesday 14th December. And what a wonderful event it proved to be ….an excellent combination of business and social. So well attended too and a great chance to meet and chat with colleagues!!!
We convened just before 11am (everyone was so prompt) for tea/coffee scholarly muffins (muffins with a chocolate cap but no gown). Everyone was signed in and had received raffle tickets by about 11.20.
DOWN TO BUSINESS
Business commenced with Ted Rooney offering the Chair’s apologies. An account of the events of the year – tours, activities and meetings followed by the financial statement – all presented in an interesting and lively way.
Touring !!!!!! No Hands!!!!! No Kids!!!!!!
Rena gave a comprehensive account of the past outings and the proposed AWAY OUTING 2017 is to beautiful Derry and Seamus Heaney Country, taking in Magherafelt, Castledawson and Bellaghy, including the recently opened Heaney Centre. A discussion on the unsuitability of the dates resulted in Rena (only today) sorting out a change CHANGE OF DATE: It is now planned for 3rd to 5th April (price the same approx. €299) and bookings to be made yourself through Marathon Travel 01 4755010 ext 4. Let Rena know you’ve booked (086 8252164)
Brian Keyes’ account of the dancing group that meet every second Wednesday in the Town House was lively – new members welcome in January – all abilities are catered for I’m assured – skill and fun for all. The date of the first after Christmas “Strictly” will be notified.
From Head Office
Billy Sheehan’s presentation covered the following topics:
- Pension – some welcome changes for all,
- Comhnasc survey – there is value both in hard copy and media access
- Launch of Website – I’m going to have a go with submissions to keep our branch efforts up to date
- Solidarity Fund which is now open for submissions according to guidelines
- RTAI Bursaries – new criteria which will include recognition of Life Long Learning Skills
- Membership + Card – renewed for 2017/18
- Teaching after retirement – some guidelines
- Carecall Counselling Service – 1800 409 773
- Any clarification on the above from firstname.lastname@example.org
Following words of high praise from Ted on the solid work done over last number of years by retiring Secretary/Treasurer, Mary Kennedy and Auditors Mícheál Mac Cártaigh and Fidelma Farrell, the election to offices process was painless; after little consideration people volunteered their services readily.
New Kildare Committee for 2017:
- Chair: Ted Rooney
- Vice Chair: Martin Hoban
- Secretary/Treasurer: Fidelma Farrell
- Auditors: Peadar Cunningham & Paula Watters
Don’t ask me who organised the raffle prizes, but suffice to know they did a brilliant job and there were loads of happy winners of wine, chocs, gifts, …..Well done!
The meeting adjourned to the Turners Restaurant where we had Christmas dinner – time to catch up and make friends.
I heard talk of golf, hill walking, and there are probably other specialist interest activities ….Will try to find out times and dates and contacts.