Great gathering (60+ members) took place in Killashee House Hotel on Wednesday 6th December. After a welcoming cup of coffee and chat we got down to business.
Chair, Carmel Gleeson welcomed us all, particularly the many new retirees who have joined our ranks.
Fidelma Farrell read the minutes of the last meeting and also the financial report.
– A letter of resignation from secretary Mary Kennedy was read and Carmel thanked Mary on behalf of all the members for her many years of Trojan work on our behalf. Anne Rogan was proposed and seconded as new Secretary. Fidelma Farrell will continue to keep an eye on our finances – many thanks ladies
– Máire Ní Chuinneagáin looking for our Branch endorsement for her campaign for Vice President of ARTI in 2024. Carmel informed us that Retired Teacher branches are organised according to county boundaries; also we are District 6 (As INTO members we were District 7).
– Request for nominees to attend 2024 Congress and branch nominees for vacant positions on ARTI Committee.
– Request For Motions for Congress
2. Noeleen Rooney (Longford), our branch representative addressed the meeting on Current Issues. Many items are dealt with more comprehensively in Conasc but here’s a short summary:
A. Convention 2024: Venue- Croke Park March 12th; Theme: CARE CONNECT COMMUNICATE
B. New Database: Current system outdated. Need for Records to be updated – request for information on newly retired/new members to be sent to branches; request of changes to addresses, emails to be sent from branch to NEC
Kildare is one of very few branches that update committee list and meeting dates on ARTI webpage.
C. Branch Subvention: Kildare Branch is very healthy financially but new Guidelines on NEC sanction, date of Payments are being reviewed.
D. General Updates
INTO: Current pay talks in initial stages (Building Momentum expires in December 2023), hope for ballot in New Year
ICTU Retired Workers Committee – also working on our behalf
Teaching in Retirement – acknowledge how vital Retired Teachers are at the moment for the operation of schools – Current daily rate €235.95 excluding all statutory deductions. Be aware of the limit on number of days (50) that can be worked before pension reduction or abatement. INTO will be pushing for this to continue into 2024. Retired Teachers please be aware of importance to maintain TC registration if they want to sub. Also advised to join INTO.
Fidemlma cautioned us to be aware that there are plans afoot to review criteria for driver licenses for over 70’s
Speaker from Age Friendly will be invited to speak at next meeting.
Reminder to register with WhatsApp group – Breda Fay 0872417226 and also to keep an eye on Web page/Blog as there are plans for activities – walking, golf, holidays, culture and coffee mornings in the pipeline.
4. Meeting concluded with Wine Raffle – well done to organisers
5. Lovely lunch subsidised by branch followed meeting.